HERD BOOK REGISTRATIONS
BULL REGISTRATION CHARGE REMAINS AT €50. THE CHARGE INCREASES TO €80 WHEN A REPEAT SAMPLE IS REQUIRED
Process to verify parentage and Genomic proof:
- When a HAIR sample is received for parentage verification and genomics, it is first sent to Weatherbys Laboratory where the DNA is extracted.
- This data is then sent to ICBF to verify the PARENTAGE & GENOMICS.
- If there is not sufficient readable DNA in the extraction process, official genomic proof and sire verification cannot be published.
- A REPEAT hair card is then sent to the breeder (CLASSED AS A RECALL).
- On receipt of the second sample the laboratory will repeat the process and send it to ICBF again for Genomic and parentage verification.
- If sufficient data is extracted the registration process can be completed.
It is imperative that a good hair sample with plenty roots is pulled from the swish of the tail. SEE HERE FOR DEMONSTRATION. It is important that the hair is completely dry and as clean as possible. Use gloves to avoid contamination.
Note: Hairs extracted from other parts of the coat will result in a poor DNA sample!
It is VITAL that samples are stored in cool dry place out of direct sunlight.
FEMALE EMBRYO REGISTRATION
FULL PARENTAGE IS REQUIRED FOR ALL ET CALVES
IHFA herdbook rules state that DNA is to be recorded for all donor dams
- Hairs must be collected at time of flushing from donor dam by the ET technician/VET
- Samples must be sent to Weatherbys’ Laboratory immediately, (envelopes and DNA bags available from IHFA to record DNA type)
- Full parentage will be required for all female ET calves, as is the case with male calves.
- Certificates will ONLY be issued for embryo male and female calves that are fully parentage tested.
- The parentage test will be charged to the breeder.
- The cost of DNA type for the donor dam will be paid by IHFA (as is the situation at present)
Click here for summary